If you want more adventure than a 2-hour heli-hike - plus the benefits of a private guiding experience - choose the Tasman Ice Trek. The Trek combines the thrill of the helicopter rides, plus a true exploratory journey across the ice of the mighty Tasman Glacier.
You will fly to a high landing at approx 1,700 metres above sea level. With your private guide, you will travel downstream, traversing the incredible glacial landscape. You will move through the regular Tasman Glacier Heli Hike terrain to a low pickup at around 1,200 metres.
Explore The Ice
The hike will cover about 5 kilometres distance, with many diversions. Explore fascinating ice features. Squeeze through winding canyons. Peer into moulins and caves - and the many surprises the ice delivers!
As you are on a private hike, there is no pressure to go faster (or slower) by people you don't know.
The glacier changes constantly through the season, so no two trips are the same.
All The Gear
You'll meet your guide at our base in Mt Cook Village. They will explain how the day will run, then kit you out with the 'spiky' stuff like ice axe and crampons. Then, it is a short drive to your waiting helicopter adventure.
- Two 15 minute scenic helicopter flights in the Mount Cook region
- Incredible mountain, glacier and lake views
- Up to 6 hours on the ice
- Private guide
- Professional and experienced guides and pilots
- All technical equipment and lunch provided
The Ice Trek is for fit people with a taste for exploration.
You must be confident walking on uneven terrain continuously for several hours carrying a small backpack.
- Departures: 08:00 every day October-April, by arrangement.
- Included: 2 scenic helicopter flights, professional guide service, equipment, lunch
- Meet at: Alpine Guides Base, Aoraki Mount Cook
- Gear provided:
Download the equipment list here
- Maximum guide ratio: Up to '4' people per guide
- Age restriction: Minimum of '12' years old
- Pricing: One Person $2,075
2 People $1,075 per-person
3 People $750 per-person
4 people $610 per-person