If you want more adventure than a 2-hour heli-hike, the Tasman Ice Trek with Alpine Guides offers the thrill of the helicopter ride, plus an exploratory journey down the ice of the mighty Tasman Glacier.
You will fly to a high landing at approx 1,700 metres above sea level. With your guide you will travel downstream, traversing the incredible glacial landscape. You will move through the regular Tasman Glacier Heli Hike terrain to a low pickup at around 1,200 metres.
Explore The Ice
The hike will cover about 5 kilometres distance, with many diversions. Explore fascinating ice features. Squeeze through winding canyons. Peer into moulins and caves - and the many surprises the ice delivers!
The glacier changes constantly through the season, so no two trips are the same.
All The Gear
You'll meet your guide at our base in Mt Cook Village. They will explain the day and kit you out with the 'spiky' stuff like ice axe and crampons. Then, it is a short drive to your waiting helicopter adventure.
- Two 15 minute scenic helicopter flights in the Mount Cook region
- Incredible mountain, glacier and lake views
- Up to 6 hours on the ice
- Professional and experienced guides and pilots
- All technical equipment and lunch provided
The Ice Trek is for fit people with a taste for exploration.
You must be able to walk on uneven terrain continuously for several hours carrying a small backpack.
Price: NZ$795 per personBooking Terms and Conditions
Minimum of 3 people required to operate
- Departures: 08:00 every day October-April, by arrangement.
- Included: 2 scenic helicopter flights, professional guide service, equipment, lunch
- Meet at: Alpine Guides Base, Aoraki Mount Cook
- Gear provided:
Download the equipment list here
- Maximum guide ratio: Up to '4' people per guide
- Age restriction: Minimum of '12' years old