Looking for an extraordinary experience? Alpine Guides' Plateau Hut Overnight trip is the perfect 'easy' mountain adventure and a trip to one of New Zealand's most iconic alpine locations.
You will stay at a modern NZ alpine hut, and enjoy the thrill of glaciated 'big-mountain' terrain, accompanied by your professional guide.
Then, roped for glacier travel, safely trek to the summit of Glacier Dome (2,452 metres) - a snow-clad but non-technical peak on the flanks of Aoraki Mount Cook itself!
- Stay overnight at one of NZ's most spectacular alpine huts
- Trek across a glacier
- Use crampons/snowshoes and ice axe to ascend a peak
- Spectacular scenic flights to and from your hut
- Delicious evening meal and breakfast prepared by your guide
Timing Your Trip
Plateau Hut can be visited year-round. However, December and early-January is peak climbing season.
At that time the hut may be busy and often noisy during the small hours of the morning. We do not recommend booking in December, through mid-January - unless you want the 'full' alpine experience!
- 0830 Meet your guide and discuss plans
- Sort gear and travel to Mt Cook Airport
- Scenic flight to Plateau Hut – at 2,210 metres (7250 feet) above sea level
- Set up at hut and take lunch
- Glacier walk and training
- Glacier Dome trek and traverse - 2 to 3 hours
- Lunch at hut
- Fly back to Mt Cook airport
- Return gear and depart
- Departures: All Year by arrangement. Please talk to us about your preferred date.
- Included:Professional guide
Flights in and out
Meals - from lunch on day one to lunch on day 2
All technical gear
- Meet at: 08:30 Alpine Guides base
- Equipment List:
Download the gear list
- Experience Required: 'Average level of fitness
No climbing or mountaineering training needed
A sense of fun and adventure!
- Maximum guide ratio: Up to '3' people per guide
- Age restriction: Minimum of '12' years old
- Pricing: One Person $2,950
2 People $1,595 per-person
3 People $1,155 per-person