This is an overnight trek staying at Mueller Hut with the opportunity to summit Mount Ollivier.
Mueller is one of the more accessible alpine huts in NZ. Above it stands Mount Ollivier (1,933 metres) - known as the first peak Sir Edmund Hillary climbed. This is an unforgettable location, flanked by the glacier-draped peaks of the Main Divide.
The 1,000-metre ascent to the hut is an unhurried trip, taking around 6 hours, with plenty of time for breaks and photographs. The peak of Mount Ollivier is 40 minutes climb from the hut.
Mueller is very popular and busy during summer when the route is straightforward. We guide through Autumn to Spring (April-October), when the hut is quieter and the route requires technical equipment and mountain knowlege, to make a safe ascent.
Experience and Fitness
- Good level of hiking fitness
- Able carrying a pack of 10-12 kg for 4 to 6 hours without stopping.
Some sections of the route have moderate exposure. Your guide will carry a rope if assistance is required.
Crampons and ice axe (and sometimes snowshoes) will be carried. Your guide will give instruction on proper use of equipment. See the equipment list for more details.
Mueller Hut Details
This is a modern 28 bunk hut maintained by the Department Of Conservation. It has 2 bunk rooms and a kitchen/dining area, solar powered lighting, tanked drinking water, and LPG cooking stoves. The bunks have mattresses, so you only need a sleeping bag to stay cozy.
- Departures: April - October by arrangement. Please talk to us about your preferred date.
- Included: Professional guide services
Meals and snacks - lunch on day one to lunch on day 2
- Meet at: 08:30, Alpine Guides base, Mount Cook.
- Gear provided:
Download the Equipment List
- Maximum guide ratio: Up to '4' people per guide
- Age restriction: Minimum of '12' years old
- Prices: One Person $1,125
2 People $675 per-person
3 People $545 per-person
4 people $475 per-person